Dictionary meaning – Quote Unquote
Talk loudly and vehemently, especially in anger, as in “There you go again, ranting and raving about the neighbor’s car in your driveway”. This idiom is a redundancy, since rant and rave are synonyms, but probably survives on account of its alliterative appeal.
Once the sole domain of well-constructed essays, editorials, speeches, or letters to the editor about grand topics, strongly held opinions now crop up incessantly in our feeds everywhere. Whether on Twitter, Facebook other web media or in your office, roads or homes, rants have become omnipresent in all lives.
Do we need a topic for ranting? What is there not to rant about?
Your boss, colleagues, parents, children, politics, floods, crying, laughing, not having enough shoes…the list are endless. You have multiple reasons to compete with others in having the best grievances, grumbles, groans, moans, whines, whimpers, titters. Pick your choice and you would be a stalwart in the ranting game. Soon you would be encompassed in it’s heightened, emotional flipping out, frothing at the mouth, going red in your face manifestations.
Take a breather before you take your rants seriously. The game doesn’t end here. You are left with scars and blemishes that are as difficult to remove as your acne. If you are at the receiving end of a rant, be warned never to give your advice, compassion, or argument. You will never win and would surely end up being the culprit of having started the rant.
However, you can become a passionate and artful ranter. The art of the rant comes from knowing who you are, what you believe, and upon which topics you’re willing to take a stand. You can be an intelligent ranter and make your mark in the business of ranting.
Few real solutions and dos/don’ts to deal with your rants.
- Think of a topic and just rant on it, post it on your blog. Soon 100 people will write comments. Very soon you would be a successful blogger earning some greens.
- Although it is not socially acceptable to ignore people, but you can always email your long rant with copy to the recipients’ family.
- You can always forward your rant to PMO. It has been constituted for precisely this purpose.
- Actors can be theatrical and rave and rant most naturally. Their profession justifies it. Join the profession. Better still join the opposition political party for your catharsis. You will be on the front page of the MEDIA.
- DON’T ever break your keyboard or computer or your expensive TV unless you want to be designated as a certified psycho.
- You can be an intelligent ranter and flummox the opponent with your thesaurus vocabulary. Make them speechless with your intellectual rant.
Finally, if you have any more suggestions and additions to the above list, kindly contribute to our list.
CREDIT: Poonam Chowdhary Aka PC